- All Projects
- Atlas of Maritime Buddhism
- Construction Safety
- Conversations@the Studio
- Cross Currents
- Dead Heat
- Deep Sleep
- Flow Fields
- Magnesium Light
- Open City
- Pure Land
- Rio Tinto Volcanic 3D
- Virtual Fields
- Voyage to the Planets
ARC Project Investigators: Dennis Del Favero, Jill Bennett, Neil Brown, Jeffrey Shaw, Peter Weibel, Ursula Frohne, Johnny Chan.
Artistic Directors: Dennis Del Favero with Stephen Sewell, Elwira Titan and Peter Weibel
ARC Project Title: The aesthetic reformulation of the atmosphere using intelligent imaging systems.
Project Funding: ARC DP120102243
Nebula is an artificially intelligent (AI) interactive computer graphic installation that investigates the emergence of an interactive aesthetics of the atmosphere made possible through the integration of new imaging processes combining remote sensing and immersive technology. Through experimental application of a remote sensing visualisation system it demonstrates how visual narratives of the atmosphere can be jointly produced by users and intelligent imaging systems through their reciprocal interaction in the representation of atmospheric data. In its explanation of the interactive processes underlying this new genre of contemporary image formation, the study transforms our insight into how revolutionary new technology can impact on Australia’s understanding of the climate.
It comprises two iterations. Nebula I explores the visualisation of the atmosphere using a basic generative, live-rendered application that integrates remote sensing data supplied by NASA with custom created worlds comprised of 20,000 particles, underpinned by a basic AI framework. Nebula II extends this with an enhanced AI framework that enables each particle to independently calculate its behaviour relative to other particles
Nebula Cinema Trailer.
- Nebula II, Düsseldorf Cologne Open Galleries, Galerie Brigitte Schenk, Cologne, 2017
- Nebula II, Art of Immersion: Virtual Frontiers, ZKM, Karlsruhe, 2017
- Nebula I, Sydney Film Festival, Sydney, 2016
- ISEA16, Hong Kong, 2016
- Tactical Imaginary, Sydney College of the Arts, 2015
- Firewall, William Wright Projects, Sydney, 2014
- Galerie Schürmann & Laskowski, Cologne, 2016
- Libidinal Circuits: Scenes of Urban Innovation III, FACT (Foundation of Art and Creative Technology), Liverpool, 2015
- Redlands Konica Minolta Art Prize, National Art School Gallery, Sydney, 2015
- Art Cologne (Galerie Brigitte Schenk), Cologne, 2016
- GLOBALE, ZKM Museum of Contemporary Art, Karlsruhe, 2015